Policy Commissions & Committees
ICC committees are specialised working bodies composed of global business experts. They examine issues of practical concern to world business, prepare policy products, statements and recommendations to inform and shape intergovernmental discussions.
To have access to the 2015/2016 calendar of ICC Policy Commission Meetings, please click here.
Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution
Serves as a forum for pooling ideas on issues relating to international arbitration and other forms of dispute resolution. It drafts and amends ICC’s Arbitration, ADR, Expertise, Dispute Board and other forms of dispute resolution rules; studies the juridical and other aspects of arbitration and other modes of international dispute settlement, and examine them in view of current developments; provides reports, guidelines and best practices on a range of topics of current relevance to the world of international dispute resolution, with a view to improving ICC dispute resolution services; creates a link among arbitrators, counsel and users to enable ICC dispute resolution to respond effectively to users’ needs and promote ICC’s various dispute resolution services globally.
- ICC UK Committee: John Beechey CBE, former president of ICC’s Court of Arbitration
- President of the ICC international Court of Arbitration: Alexis Mourre
More information about ICC’s UK committee can be found here.
Acts as a global forum and rule-making body for banks worldwide, with a particular focus on the financing of international trade. The Commission produces universally accepted rules and guidelines for international banking practice. ICC rules and guidelines on documentary credits, entitled UCP 600, are the most successful privately drafted rules for trade ever developed, serving as the basis of US$2 trillion worth of trade transactions every year.
- ICC UK Committee: John Turnbull, Joint General Manager & Global Head of Structured Trade & Commodity Finance, SMBCE Limited.
- ICC’s global Commission: Daniel Schmand, Head of Trade Finance & Cash Management Corporates EMEA, Deutsche Bank.
Commercial law and practice
Sets global business standards for international B2B transactions and provides world business input on commercial rules developed by intergovernmental organizations.
- ICC UK Committee: *To be appointed
- ICC’s global Commission: Fabio Bortolotti, Professor, Univiersity of Turin, Partner, Buffa, Bortolotti & Mathis.
- Global Vice-chairs: Christian Steinberger, Head of Legal Services, German Engineering Federation VDMA; Ercument Erdem, Professor of Commercial Law, Galatasaray University.
Promotes an open and competitive environment for British business worldwide. The group brings together leading antitrust practitioners from across industry and private practice to monitor the development of international competition frameworks, contribute business insights on key issues ranging from compliance to cartel enforcement, all in support of a balanced and pragmatic application of antitrust laws.
- ICC UK Committee: Anne Riley, Associate General Counsel of Shell’s Antitrust team
- UK Vice-chairs: Wayne Spillet, Senior Solicitor, Competition Law, Vodafone Group Plc; Anne-Marie Galvin, Legal Counsel, Unilever, as UK
- ICC’s global Commission: Paul Lugard, Partner, Baker Botts LLP in Brussels.
- Global Vice-chairs: Michael D. Blechman, Special Counsel, Kaye Scholer LLP; Anne Riley, Group Antitrust Counsel, Shell Internationaland Patrick Hubert, Partner, Antitrust Practice group, Clifford Chance LLP.
Corporate responsibility and anti-corruption
Develops policy recommendations and practical tools from a global business perspective on corporate responsibility and fighting corruption.
- ICC UK Committee: Will Kenyon, Partner, Forensic Services, PwC
- ICC’s global Commission: Denis Simonneau, Member of the Executive Committee in charge of European and International Relations, Engie.
- Global Vice-chairs: François Vincke, lawyer, member of the Brussels Barand Iohann Le Frapper, Chief Legal Officer, Gulf Bridge International "GBI".
Customs and trade facilitation
Promotes simplified customs and transport policies and procedures as well as other measures to facilitate international trade.
- *Issues concerning customs and trade facilitation are currently being addressed by ICC UK’s committee for Trade and Investment under John Carroll, Head of International - Santander UK Corporate & Commercial.
- Global commission: Norman Schenk, Vice President, Global Customs Policy & Public Affairs, UPS.
- Global Vice-chairs: Jean-Marie Salva, Partner, DS Avocats; Oliver Peltzer, Partner, Dabelstein & Passehland Fernando Barbosa, Partner, Global Business-Customs Solution Consulting Group.
Promotes the global development of the digital economy and stable growth of its underlying information and communication technology (ICT) platform through private sector policy leadership, regulatory advocacy and the promotion of best practice.
- ICC UK Committee: *To be appointed
- Global commission: Joseph H. Alhadeff, Chief Privacy Strategist, Vice President, Global Public Policy, Oracle Corporation
- Global Vice-chair: Kaisa Olkkonen, Vice President, Government Relations, Nokia Corporation
Environment and energy
Develops policy recommendations and tools to address major global environmental and energy issues, including climate change, green economy, sustainable development, and make a substantive contribution to key intergovernmental discussions in these areas.
- ICC UK Committee: Nick Baird, Group Corporate Affairs Director, Centrica
- Global commission: Kersten-Karl Barth, Sustainability Director, Siemens
- Global Vice-chairs: Martina Bianchini, Advisor, Virtual Collaboration; Lakshmanan Rajasekar, Head of Technology and Sustainability, UltraTech Cement Ltdand Gilles Vermot Desroches, Senior VP Sustainability, Schneider Electric.
Promotes efficient intellectual property (IP) systems that support international trade, encourage investments in creation and innovation, and facilitate sustainable economic development.
- ICC UK Committee: *To be appointed
- Global commission: David J. Koris, General Counsel, Head of IP, Shell International
- Global Vice-chairs: Ingrid A.F. Baele, Vice President, Business Management Office, Philips IP & Standards; Thaddeus Burns, Senior Counsel, IP and Technology Policy, General Electric.
Marketing and advertising
Promotes high ethical standards in marketing by business self-regulation through ICC international marketing codes, and formulates world business positions and initiatives to address government actions that affect marketing and consumer protection.
- ICC UK Committee: Ian Twinn, Director of Public Affairs,Incorporated Society of British Advertisers (ISBA).
- Global commission: Brent Sanders, Assistant General Counsel, Marketing and Advertising, Microsoft Corporation
- Global Vice-chair: Eve Magnant, Vice-President, Corporate Responsibility Director, Publicis Group; Sheila Millar, Partner, Marketing and Advertising, Keller and Heckman; Anders Stenlund, Director of Legal Affairs, Competition and Consumer Policy, Confederation of Swedish Enterprise; Ximena Tapias Delporte, President, Commission of Advertising Self-Regulation, CONARP Colombia.
Promotes transparent and non-discriminatory treatment of foreign investments and earnings that eliminates tax obstacles to cross-border trade and investment.
- ICC UK Committee: Robert Thomas, Tax Director, Eastern Hemisphere, Xerox
- Global commission: Christian Kaeser, Global Head of Tax, Siemens AG
- Global Vice-chairs: Mukesh Butani, Partner, BMR Legal; Cym Lowell, Private Lawyer in International Taxation, McDermott Will & Emery LLP; Paul Morton, Head of Group Tax, Reed Elsevier Group plc.
Trade and investment policy
Promotes cross-border trade and investment by business and an open global economy to foster job creation, sustainable development, and improve living standards.
- ICC UK Committee: John Carroll, Head of International - Santander UK Corporate & Commercial
- Global commission: James Bacchus, Chair, Greenberg Traurig's Global Practice Group
- Global Vice-chairs: Luis De La Calle, Managing Director, Founding Partner, De La Calle, Madrazo, Mancera, S.C. ; Ulf Pehrsson, Vice President Sales & Marketing, Government and Industry Relations, Telefonaktiebolaget L.M. Ericsson.
For more information and to get involved please email: firstname.lastname@example.org